Published: 30-03-2010 photo #8523 1 comments 0 votes
Photographed at the National Railway Museum, York, on 24 April 2007.
H.S. Wainwright design, built at Ashford Works for the South Eastern & Chatham Railway in 1901. The D Class was a development of the M.3 Class of the London, Chatham & Dover Railway, and the livery was designed by Wainwright himself.
It has two inside cylinders, 19 in diameter by 25 in stroke, driving 6 ft 8 in driving wheels. Boiler pressure was 175 psi and in working order the engine weighed 50 tons.
No. 737 was withdrawn from service at Guildford shed in October 1956, and restored at Ashford Works.
Numbering: SECR 737, SR A737, SR 1737, BR 31737.