Published: 28-08-2009 photo #7344 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed on 22 August 2009 at the Rizhsky Vokzal railway museum in Moscow, Russia.
This was an intermediate class, between classes E and FD, developed in 1934. SO17-2211 was built in 1947 by the Voroshilovgrad locomotive building plant.
They had a lighter, 17 tonne, axle loading so they could be used over a wider range of tracks. However by the late 1970s they had been relegated to branch lines and shunting operations. They were hard work for the fireman, with only mechanical stoking of wood or coal.
Some of this class were equipped with condensing tenders to re-use the exhaust steam, and the tender coupled to this locomotive was of that type, buuilt in 1939, but converted back in 1950. The locomotive was built in 1947, rated at 2,000 hp.
Driving wheel diameter: 1320 mm, Maximum speed: 75 km/h, Length: 21.6 m, Weight: 97 tonnes.
Tender coal capacity: 18 tonnes, Water capacity: 23 tonnes.