Published: 28-08-2009 photo #7342 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed on 22 August 2009 at the Rizhsky Vokzal railway museum in Moscow, Russia.
FD stands for "Felix Dzerzhinsky", one of the Bolshevik leaders of the Russiona Revolution.
Rated at 3,200 hp, these locomotives had mechanical stokers and were generally based on American designs.
The first were built in 1931 and went into series production at the Voroshilovgradskiy steam locomotive works. In 10 years, 3,214 FD class locomotives were produced.
They were however too heavy for most of the Russian rail network, and also burned too much oil.
This locomotive, one of the last of the FD series, built in 1941, was restored in the LÂ´gov depot and went on display in the museum in 2004.
Driving wheel diameter: 1500 mm.
Maximum speed: 85 km/h.
Length: 29 m, weight: 135 tonnes.
Fuel oil capacity: 25 tonnes, water capacity: 44 tonnes.