Published: 26-08-2009 photo #7333 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed on 22 August 2009 at the Rizhsky Vokzal railway museum in Moscow, Russia.
The plate on the big dome states that this is no. 1836, built in 1903, at the Braynskiy works. The "Ov" stands for Ovechka, which is the name of this type of 0-8-0 locomotive. They originally ran on coal, then wood, and later oil. The restoration, which took place from 1993 to 2004, at the Roslavl and Podmoskovnaya depots, returned it to the coal and wood burning style. The chimney carries a mesh spark arrestor.
The first 4-wheel wagon behind the tender was built in Germany in 1917 and came to Russia after the 2nd World War. It has a screw coupling, similar to that used in the UK for loose-cpupled wagons, but from the 1930s the Russians went over to using buckeye couplings, and the buffers were then removed from converted wagons. This particular wagon has no brakes, but there is a pipe running underneath to permit an air brake connection to subsequent vehicles in the consist.