Published: 14-03-2009 photo #6399 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed in the Engine House, Highley, Shropshire, on 8 March during the Severn Valley Steam Gala. This is the shield of the Midland Railway, which was incorporated on 10th May 1844 by amalgamation of the North Midland, Midland Counties and Birmingham and Derby Junction Railways and became one of the most influential of the pre-grouping railways, with access to many parts of Britain through joint lines and working arrangements.
It was stated in 1922 that "St. Pancras, the London terminus, with the hotel designed by the late Sir Gilbert Scott, is by far the most striking of the London railway stations, the station itself being the largest in the Kingdom under a single span roof. It contains 7 platforms, 800 feet in length, and 10 sets of rails."
The crest was the Wyvern of Mercia and the shield incorporated six of the largest centres that the company reached. These were Birmingham, Bristol, Derby, Leeds, Leicester and Lincoln.
See also picture 6392.