Published: 12-03-2009 photo #6338 1 comments 0 votes
Photographed passing the Engine House at Highley on 7 March 2009 during the Severn Valley Railway Steam Gala.
Built at Swindon to a C.B. Collett design in January 1939. First shed allocation Bristol, Bath Road. August 1950 shed allocation Newton Abbot. March 1959 shed allocation Plymouth Laira. Transferred to Oswestry May 1960 and finally to its last shed allocation, Shrewsbury, in February 1963. Withdrawn from British Railways service in November 1965, it was sent to Woodham Brothers scrapyard in Barry, South Wales, in June 1966.
At the time of withdrawal Erlestoke Manor had clocked up 800,000 miles, receiving six heavy repairs at Swindon along the way.
Erlestoke Manor, along with 9 other Manor Class locomotives were saved from scrap and are now preserved.