Published: 23-02-2009 photo #6054 1 comments 0 votes
Photographed outside Swanage engine shed on 14 February 2009.
Built at Brighton Works by the Southern Railway in April 1946 and went straight into traffic from Ramsgate where it took up regular duties on the Kent Coast services to Victoria and Cannon Street.
On railway nationalisation in 1948, Eddystone was renumbered 34028 and was re-allocated to Exmouth Junction. It soon appeared on that depot's top-link duties such as the Atlantic Coast Express and the Devon Belle which it worked as far as Salisbury.
Eddystone was one of the first Bulleid Light Pacifics to be rebuilt in August 1958 and was then transferred to Bournemouth. In September 1962 it was transferred to Eastleigh, and in May 1964 Eddystone had the dubious honour of being the first rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific to be withdrawn.
It was sent to Woodham's scrapyard at Barry where it awaited its fate for the next 22 years. It was purchased by the Southern Pacific Rescue group and moved to a base at Sellindge near Ashford, and completed restoration in October 2003.