Published: 04-10-2008 photo #4348 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed on 28 September 2008.
D8098 was built to the original Type 1 design from the 1955 Modernisation Plan. It was built in 1961 by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns, who were by then part of the English Electric group, and thus received two works numbers. It was first allocated to Eastfield shed in Glasgow, where it spent a large portion of its life. It had moved to Tinsley in Sheffield by the early 1980s when it spent several months in store, as did many other engines in the class that were surplus at that time. The engine ended up in the North East, and was withdrawn in June 1991.
It was sold to the Type One Locomotive Association and arrived on GCR on May 22nd 1992. The first run in preservation was on September 12th 1992, and it entered traffic on November 21st 1992. The engine was repainted in later BR green with yellow ends for a diesel gala on March 25-27th 1994. The yellow ends were repainted green in 1996 for the Hornby Dublo weekend.
This loco was allocated TOPS number 20 098.