Published: 30-11-2017 photo #27730 1 comments 0 votes
Pm36-2 affectionately known as ‘Beautiful Helena’ photographed on 4 October 2015 at the locomotive shed at Wolsztyn, Poland.
Class Pm36 consisted of only two express passenger locomotives, both built in 1937. One of them (Pm36-1) had aerodynamic fairing. The construction as well as the shape of it was designed by inz. Kazimierz Zembrzuski, head of the design office in the First Polish Factory of Locomotives and at the same time professor of the Warsaw University of Technology. The other (Pm36-2, shown here) had a standard look. The idea was to test both engines in parallel to compare top speed, acceleration, coal and water consumption etc. The Pm36-1 won a gold medal at the 1937 International Exposition of Art and Technology in Paris.
After the German occupation of Poland during World War II, Pm36-2 was renumbered into the Deutsche Reichsbahn (DRB) fleet as 18 602 (class 18/6). It survived the war, and was returned to Poland where it regained its PKP class and number. It continued to work for PKP until 1965, when it was given to the Warsaw Railway Museum.