Published: 28-11-2017 photo #27717 0 comments 0 votes
This is a very impressive railway station, looking more like a fortress! Photographed on 3 October 2015. Built in the mid-19th century near the centre of the city, until 1945 it was known as Breslau Hauptbahnhof ("Breslau Main station").
The station was built between 1855 and 1857, as the starting point of the Oberschlesische Eisenbahn (Upper Silesian Railway), as well as the line from Breslau to Glogau via Posen. It replaced the earlier complex of the Oberschlesischer Bahnhof (Upper Silesian Railway Station, built 1841-1842). Its designer was the royal Prussian architect Wilhelm Grapow, and in the mid-19th century, it was located near the southern outskirts of the city, as the areas to the south had not yet been urbanized.
After the Second World War the border between Poland and Germany shifted to the West so that the former German city of Breslau became Wroclaw (pronounced “Vrotswav”).