Published: 03-10-2017 photo #27363 0 comments 1 votes
Class Tx locomotive ‘Brigadelokomotive’ photographed in the Sochaczew Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Poland, on 29 September 2015. Built in 1918 in Germany by Orenstein & Koppel for ZKL Hajnowka. Works no. 8575.
Brigadelokomotive was the name for a type of narrow gauge steam locomotives originally designed by Henschel and produced in large numbers by several manufacturers between 1905 and 1919 for the German military railway (Heeresfeldbahnen - HFB). This was the basic type of locomotive of the German field railway during WW1. Afterwards a considerable number were found outside of Germany, including in Poland, where they were used on public and industrial railways (mainly sugar mills and forestry railways).
They had Stephenson valve gear. An interesting point is that the coal supply on top of the water tanks was limited to 0.7 tonnes, so they were often operated with a tender, which in some cases was “home made”.
T = tank locomotive, x = 8 coupled wheels.