Photographed on 30 September 2015, with SA132-015 railbus built by Pojazdy Szynowe PESA Bydgoszcz SA, awaiting departure to Poznan.
SHARE THIS PICTURE
Undated text transcribed (with slight editing) from an information board inside the locomotive shed, photographed on 4 October 2015: The first railway line to reach Wolsztyn was from Zbaszyn, completed in 1886, whereupon work commenced immediately on the line from Leszno , which opened as far as Blotnica (pronounced Bwotnitsa) in 1895 and reached Wolsztyn in 1896.Two years later the line to Grodzisk was opened, with a connection to Poznanvia Opalemica, and in the same yearthe line to Sulechow was completed (pronounced Soolekov) . Wolsztyn thereby became an important junction . . . The station and its two signal boxes were completed in 1895 and are typically Prussian railway architecture. The originally installed equipment, point linkages from Lechmann & Co and block apparatus by AG of Berlin are still in use today. The first locomotive shed, workshops and a four road building were also completed at that time.The first locomotives, Class Tkh1 (Prussian Class T3) were followed by Class TKi3, both requiring water every 20 km. In 1909 the engine shed was enlarged to 8 roads. At the outbreak of WW2 Wolsztyn station was burnt down, so that only the surviving umbrella roofs of platforms 2 and 3, dating from 1905, remain to illustrate the original architectural style. At that time 30 locomotives were stabled here, some travelling as far afield as Russia. The water tower and the coal loader are both listed structures.