Published: 12-09-2016 photo #25720 2 comments 1 votes
Built in 1930 (Works No 1643) this loco was new to Surrey County Councilas theit GP 39 and was used on the construction of the A31 Guildford bypass, a reminder of a time when temporary narrow gauge railways were widely used on major civil engineering projects such as the construction of roads, dams, ports and even housing and industrial estates.
On completion of the project in 1934, GP 39 was purchased by Penrhyn Slate quarries and worked there until 1949 as BRONLLWYD.
It was returned to steam at the Bressingham Museum, Norfolk in 1969 and joined the Statfold Collection in 2010.
It was photographed at Statfold, Staffordshire, England in September 2016.