Published: 13-12-2015 photo #24022 0 comments 0 votes
Hungarian Györ-Sopron-Ebenfurth Railway locomotive photographed on 8 May 2014 in the Magyar Vasúttörténeti Park ("Hungarian Railway History Park"), Budapest. Built by Aktien Gesellschaft der Lokomotiv Fabrik vormals G. Sigl, Wiener Neustadt, Austria in 1885, Works no. 3060.
The Wiener Neustädter Lokomotivfabrik (Wiener Neustadt locomotive factory) was the largest locomotive and engineering factory in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It had been sold in 1861 to the Vienna Maschinenfabrik owner Georg Sigl who expanded it into the largest plant in the Empire. By 1870 the 1000th locomotive had been made and the workforce exceeded 4000. In 1875 the company became an Aktiengesellschaft (public company) named, as above, Aktien Gesellschaft der Lokomotiv-Fabrik vormals G. Sigl.
After the Austrian Anschluss in 1938 the factory was taken over by the German company Henschel & Son. To increase production of locomotives the factory was greatly expanded. From 5 May 1942 the former locomotive factory went by the pseudonym Rax Ges.mbH. and from 1943 A4 (V-2) missiles were made there. The facilities were completely destroyed in 1945 by air bombing.