Published: 18-11-2015 photo #23827 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed at the Crich National Tramway Museum on 13 April 2015.
Halle, East Germany no. 902 was built by the CKD Tatra company in Prague, Czechoslovakia (now the Czech Republic). With its 4 drive motors it consumes a great deal of electric current, almost the entire output of a substation! The red and cream livery is typical for East European trams. See also picture 17882.
New York 3rd Avenue tram no. 674 is the only genuine American tramcar at Crich, although it did not come directly from the USA. It was built by the Third Avenue Transit Company in 1939 as a Z Class tram for one-man operation and seating 46 passengers. It was exported to Vienna after WW2 along with 41 others.
It became Wiener Verkehrsbetriebe no. 4225 and operated there until withdrawal in 1969, then being sent to Crich where it arrived in April 1970.For the following 6 years it ran with a raised pantograph to reach the UK overhead wire, as no. 4225. It received the New York livery in 1979 and twin trolley poles were fitted. See also picture 17880.