Published: 21-06-2015 photo #23070 0 comments 0 votes
The former D6525 photographed on 11 April 2015 during the Nene Valley Railway Diesel Gala. Works Number: BRCW DEL 117, Entered traffic: 8 October 1960, Power unit: Sulzer 8LDA28, Electrical equipment: Crompton Parkinson, Power output: 1,550 hp, Weight: 73 tons, Max. speed: 85 mph.
33109 was named “Captain Bill Smith RNR” in a special ceremony at Kensington Olympia on the 3rd July 1993 to commemorate Captain Smith who bought GNR No.1247 in 1959 which was the first locomotive to be bought privately from British Rail for preservation and since donated to the National Railway Museum (NRM) at York.
Nicknamed 'Bagpipes' due to the additional air pipework on the front, a total of 19 class 33/1's were adapted from 33/0's to include buckeye couplers with '3rd buffer', high level air pipes and control system modifications so that they could push or pull EMU sets on the Southern Region of British Railways, providing diesel traction where no 3rd Rail electric was available.
See also picture 12219 and picture 17066.