Published: 15-05-2015 photo #22788 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed at Fullerton station, California, on 28 September 2014. Acting as a social centre for the Southern California Scenic Railway Association (SCSRA). According to the SCSRA, this caboose is believed to have been originally numbered AT&SF 1860, and was built by the American Car and Foundry Company in 1928. During its operating life it was upgraded and/or modified several times, with the addition of generators and lights, radios, toilets and improved trucks. The last major upgrade was accomplished at the West Wichita, Kansas, shops (now closed) in 1966, resulting in a configuration called "Class CE-1" which was utilized in mainline and local service system wide. In this final configuration, the caboose is equipped with three pairs of facing bench seats which can be converted into bunks, a conductor's seat and desk and two cupola seats, as well as a heating stove, a 12V DC refrigerator, a Microphor toilet with on-board sewage treatment system, and FRA safety glazing. The total weight is 59,900 lbs.
The trucks are Barber-Bettendorf swing bolster type with leaf springs and have 33" wheels with roller bearings. The B end truck is equipped with a 12V DC alternator which charges the 12V battery, providing power for the lights, radio and refrigerator. The heating stove is oil fired.
As maintained by the SCSRA, all on-board utilities are operational including the sewage treatment system which discharges only treated, chlorinated water on the ground in accordance with EPA requirements.