Published: 04-02-2015 photo #22377 0 comments 0 votes
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy locomotive photographed at sunset on 21 September 2014 from the Southwest Chief express train, at Galesburg, 162 miles from Chicago.
One of a batch of 12 built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1930. According to Burlington Bulletin No. 33, each of the engines cost the Q $106,954.67. The tender of no. 3006 has a capacity of 27 tons of coal and 15,000 US gallons of water. The total weight of the engine and tender is 728,920 pounds.
The engine was given by the CB&Q to the city in 1961. When the Galesburg Railroad Museum opened, the city turned over maintenance of the locomotive through a lease agreement. Residents of Galesburg donated $3,200 in 1961 to pay for building a track for the engine in Colton Park and cover the cost of moving the engine.