Published: 31-08-2014 photo #21362 0 comments 0 votes
Stanier locomotive boiler photographed at the Great Central Railway, Loughborough, on 27 July 2014. A new firebox tube plate has been fitted, together with a new copper internal steam pipe. Now that the smokebox and door have been refitted, re-tubing will soon follow. Meanwhile, volunteers from the Loughborough Standard Locomotives Group Ltd are making good progress with the manufacture of new cladding. It is hoped that there will be a return to steam shortly.
5491 was built at Derby Works in December, 1943 at a cost of £9,332, and was sent immediately to Corkerhill Depot on the western outskirts of Glasgow.
After the war and nationalisation the locomotive gained its present number of 45491 and it worked on both freight and passenger trains. Withdrawn from BR service in July 1965 it went to Woodham’s scrapyard at Barry in October of that year. It waited there for almost 16 years before being bought and rescued by the West Lancashire Black 5 Society and moved to the ICI works at Hillhouse in 1981. The locomotive was subsequently moved to the Fleetwood Steam Centre before being purchased by its current owner and moving to the Midland Railway Centre at Butterly in September 1991. 45491 arrived at the Great Central Railway at Quorn & Woodhouse in 2011.
By now (2014) the locomotive has had a lot of the restoration work completed already and the chassis and tender are all but finished. Restoration work so far has included replacing 3 of the 4 bogie axleboxes (the originals were stolen), new tyres being fitted to the driving wheels and re-boring the cylinders, as well as the locating and manufacturing of numerous missing components.