Starred in the film the Titfield Thunderbolt currently residing in the Museum of Liverpool.
SHARE THIS PICTURE
This historic =-4-2 locomotive was built in 1838 by Todd, Kitson & LLaird, of Leeds (predecessors of Kitson & Co Ltd) for the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. The coupled wheels are 5 ft diameter and the trailing wheels 3 ft 7 in. The 3 ft 9 in diameter boiler has 97 tubes and operates at 50 psi, providing a tractive effort estimated at 2,160 lbs. The weight in working order is 26 tons 11 cwt.The LNWR, as successors to the L&M, sold Lion in 1859 to the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board, which used it for nearly 70 years as a stationary engine, powering pumps at the Princes Graving Dock at Liverpool. When electric pumps were installed in 1929 Lion was withdrawn from service and presented to the Liverpool Engineering Society. In 1930 irt was overhauled and rebuilt at Crewe Works and a 4-wheel tender was added. It spent some time on a plinth at Liverpool Lime Street station, and kept at Crewe Works. It is now on display in The Great Port, Ground Floor, Museum of Liverpool.