Published: 06-01-2013 photo #16091 0 comments 1 votes
Photographed outside the KWVR Haworth loco shed on 13 December 2012.
D0226 (seen here) and D0227 were two prototype diesel shunting locomotives built in 1956 by English Electric at its Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows as demonstrators for British Railways. They originally carried numbers D226 and D227, their Vulcan Foundry works numbers, but these were later amended to avoid clashing with the numbers of new Class 40 locomotives.
They were both 0-6-0s and were fitted with 500 hp English Electric 6RKT engines. They were painted black with an orange stripe along the middle of the bodyside, which turned into a 'V' at the nose end. The major difference between the two locomotives was that D0226 had diesel-electric transmission and D0227 had diesel-hydraulic transmission.
BR tested both locomotives at its Stratford depot in East London. D0226 has been preserved at the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, but D0227 was scrapped.