Published: 23-04-2011 photo #11133 0 comments 0 votes
Photographed on 22 March 2011 at the Nene Valley Railway shed yard, Wansford.
The 4F was based on the 197-strong Midland Railway 3835 Class of 1911, with only a few modifications, primarily the adoption of left-hand drive in favour of right-hand drive. They originally had been designed by Henry Fowler, who from 1925 became CME of the LMS.
The LMS constructed 530 of the locomotives between 1923 and 1928, numbered sequentially from where the Midland engines left off from 4027. A further 45 examples were reluctantly authorised by William Stanier in 1937 at the behest of the operating department.
This locomotive was built at Derby Works in 1927.