Published: 11-04-2011 photo #11071 1 comments 0 votes
Photographed on the side of the locomotive in the Barrow Hill Roundhouse on 20 March 2011.
The SS Andania, the second Cunard liner with that name, was built in 1922 by Hawthorn Leslie, and was to meet the same destiny as her predecessor. On June 16th, 1940 she was torpedoed by a German submarine off Iceland. Her turbine engines delivered 1,660 nominal horsepower, giving the ship a service speed of 15 knots.