Darlington Works

The Stockton & Darlington Railway opened Darlington Works in 1863, and built the first new locomotive there in 1864, to an S&D design. North Eastern railway designs began to come out of the Works, known locally as North Road Shops, in 1868. 120 of Sir Vincent Raven's Q6 o-8-0s had been built by 1921, followed by 15 of the more powerful Q7 0-8-0s. After the Grouping in 1923, there came Gresley K3 2-6-0s. V2 2-6-2s, K4 2-6-0s and A1 Pacific 4-6-2s. Steam locomotives continued to be be built there after nationalisation in 1948, in the form of BR Standard Class 2 locomotives. Although the Works were enlarged in 1954, rationalisation of the BR Workshops Division in 1962 saw them run down and they closed in 1966. The site is now occupied by a Morrison's supermarket.

194 photos 59 comments 5 votes

97 to 120 of 194

97 to 120 of 194


© Copyright 2018 photo-forums.net. All rights reserved